Welcome to Kirks-Hangar and Bacon Squadron forums. To prevent spam you have to register, to be able to post.

Operation Ragmunk

Here you can discuss and plan operations, missions and events.
Per_von_Harke

Operation Ragmunk

Post by Per_von_Harke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:55 pm

Hello,

I recently started working on a road-airbase for the AJS-37 Viggen at first only for some music video. But now I want to make a whole mission out of it.
I also want to make the road base as real as possible. Within the limitations of DCS World.

In this "topic" I will post the results of my research and "updates" of current looks as well as the state of the mission.

I hope this somewhat benefits the forum. As well as general activity here!

So let's start! :mrgreen:
Per_von_Harke

Per_von_Harke

Re: Operation Ragmunk

Post by Per_von_Harke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:21 pm

So first we need to do a bit of research.
To find a suitable airbase/roadbase/highway strip for our mission.

In times of the cold war 106 airbases,
heliports and highway strips existed in Sweden. :!:

Here are 3 pictures (maps) of locations and names of these facilities.

Overview over Sweden without names.

North part of Sweden with names.

South part of Sweden with names.

In the location, I found and rated as best suited for an airfield, considering the length of the runway and existing scenery :). Exists 2,4km or 1.3nm of usable runway. Therefore I searched for a nice little highway strip and ended up with "Bana D" of the Fällfors Airfield. It is a 1100m long strip of highway with little to no hangars or other building existing around it. So a completely mobile "FARP" would be somewhat possible.

[More Images for information and visualisation in the next post.]
Per_von_Harke

Per_von_Harke

Post by Per_von_Harke » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:39 pm

Here is the location of our highway strip base in DCS World on the Caucasus map.

Per_von_Harke

Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Kirk » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:42 am

Very nice, im curious where it leads in the end! Viggen is a great plane and clearly deserves a mission!
CAPT Kirk CAG Bacon Squadron.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep calm and fly on!

Per_von_Harke

Post by Per_von_Harke » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:38 pm

Okay so after testing and landing a bit on roads the skill ceiling might be too high and or nearly random. Sadly we don't get any portable runway or anything like that in DCS and the roads are too small to safely land on. I have a video of me landing there

I hope we will get some sort of mod for this. I am keeping an eye on the once existing harrier FARP mod. Because it had a placable runway with a hitbox and less drag.
Last edited by Per_von_Harke on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Per_von_Harke

Per_von_Harke

Post by Per_von_Harke » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:51 pm

For mobile Airfields, I have only found one existing mod which is the sequel to the maybe popular Harrier FARP mod.
Its name "is Marsden Farp".

Here is the link to the ED Forum post: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=222775

I tested it yesterday and the results weren't good looking. Any contact with the structure results in a destruction of the landing gear and when done in a landing to an complete destruction.

There might be the need for setting both indestructible. Or I may have done something wrong.
I will test it again today.

If it will not work in any case the flying pilots need a bit of luck and skill to land and not die :mrgreen:
Per_von_Harke

Per_von_Harke

Post by Per_von_Harke » Sun Nov 18, 2018 2:10 pm

Okay, so more tests have been committed. And results are that the A-10C and the Viggen are in any way not usable with the mod.
Therefore I will change the story to be located in Finnland. Aircraft will be the F/A-18C. Maybe there is a Finnland Skin for it.
The F/A-18C can land in any circumstances on the pads. Rearming is working so the basics of the mission are fine. More Research can be done now :)!
Per_von_Harke

Per_von_Harke

Post by Per_von_Harke » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:28 pm

Okay, I have made a decision.

The mission is now about a Finnish F/A-18C (D) Squadron located in the northern part of Finnland.

Squadron Data:
Name: Fighter Squadron 11 (Hävittäjälentolaivue 11, HävLLv 11)
"High Command": Lapland Air Command (Which is stationed on the northern Finnland (Rovaniemi Air Base))

It has two flights both having F/A-18C/Ds and one Communication Flight with L-70 Vinka, PC12 NG.

The FARP has the Name "Vuojärvi". It has another fictional location to fit the Caucasus Map. Which you can see in the picture below.

1. fictional FARP Location
2. Real Fighter Squadron 11 Homebase.
Home Base Location.PNG
Home Base Location.PNG (170.08 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
And here the Wikipedia article section for the Lapland Air Command and Fighter Squadron 11.
Home Base Location.PNG
Home Base Location.PNG (170.08 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
More Information on the Details and Story in the next post! If you want a Post with all Source Link just say so.
Attachments
Flight and Squadron.PNG
Flight and Squadron.PNG (37.83 KiB) Viewed 3992 times
Per_von_Harke

Per_von_Harke

Post by Per_von_Harke » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:09 pm

I am sorry for the recent inactivity. I had rather big events in school last week so time was rare.
Sadly this continues in the next week starting on the 3rd of December.
So no progress on this mission until Friday if not even Saturday. But then with hopefully new and more energy. :mrgreen:
Per_von_Harke

Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Kirk » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:06 pm

Good things take time, and our tools (F/A-18C, F-14B and AV8B) are still in the works so we have plenty of it ;) Keep it up looks very promising!
CAPT Kirk CAG Bacon Squadron.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Keep calm and fly on!

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable